Welcome

Welcome to my photo journal.


Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sunday morning birding

Just slimming my way along into your homes!!
We had storms in the area last night so we had only storm coverage on the local stations and I didn't get to see Barbara sing last night, I was really looking forward to her TV concert.
We got up early to meet the Backyarder's at 7 am at Watkins Mill SP to go birding. I guess
birding is good after storms that is what our leader keeps saying.

In the parking lot we see these Cedar Waxwings, a Eastern Towhee and Orioles so we are off to a good start.

This is a Great Crested Flycatcher one of the few birds I got photos of, wish I could have gotten photos of the Indigo Buntings, Kentucky Warblers, Wood Thrush, Swainson's Thrush, Rose Breasted Grosbeak, Yellow-throated Vireo and the Prothonotary Warbler. Many of these are new to us so we can add 8 new birds to our life list today.



This is a Eastern Kingbird.
We saw about 40 different birds today, we never see all these birds when we're out alone.
That is why it is good to go on these bird outings with knowledgeable birders, we learn, they hear and identify and we meet new people. Today we had two leaders from Backyard Birds, 4 couples and 2 singles in the group, just the right number, too many makes it hard to hear what the leaders see.



We have an Oriole and a Hummingbird at our feeders now, always fun to watch them out our back door.

We were reading the Sunday paper and saw the article about Excelsiors' two new cameras at a couple of stop lights. They were up two weeks and they caught 850 cars not stopping for the red light. I couldn't believe that, I knew there were cars not stopping but not that many. They only got warnings, Wed. tickets for $105 will be going out, so I better not run the lights anymore.



No comments: